The Cat Flap

Please close the flap quietly on your way out

Monday, February 23, 2004

After recent discussions about social software sites such as flickr.com, it seemed timely to happen upon an article about 'fixers' in The Sunday Times. Fixers are 'the people who provide', in this article's case, 'the cream' of the people who provide.

The quote that made me think of online communities was '...to get in to either club makes you a hottie — to know Sacco makes you superhot.'

The importance of online connection to someone who's an opinion former in the gentrification of (your own) identity interests me most.

I'm not sure what my profile on flickr says about me, or the people who I'm connected to, ad infinitum.

For example, is it better to list out the films I like on my profile? For what audience would I do that? For me? For one I wanted to impress, or out-art? Does it say more about me not to list my favourite films? Or to do as I have, write something random-ish.

My identity isn't confined to static lists or who I'm connected to, or who connects to me, although all are part of it.

When I walked home I watched a plane flying underneath clouds illuminated by a crescent moon which made me feel extremely remote. Now my most pressing concern is a hatred for wet mushrooms in salad.

How can I ever represent myself fully, online?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home