The Cat Flap

Please close the flap quietly on your way out

Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Supposed to be writing up a job app, which makes this an ideal time to observe yet more thoughts about space.

So, there I was standing, staring into space waiting to pick up my latest Amazon parcel (Echo and the Bunnymen, Songs to learn and sing, and a copy of Granta's Over there - how America sees the world), really quite happily, chatting to the black waggly dog at my feet. Next thing I knew I got a nasty, now then, this person's too close to me feeling at my left-hand side, and it was scary gym man.

Scary because he insists on sparking up conversation on the thankfully rare occasion I see him in there and scary because of the content of his conversation which is invariably racist.

He took this fully-clothed opportunity to remark on how the black dog had probably been trained to bark at 'certain shades of colour' and mutter on about the time it was taking for the black post office attendant to get the other people's parcels, to which I could only mutter back I'm sure he's trying his best.

His proximity and vile conversation makes my skin crawl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home